Friday, February 10, 2012

How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

In regards to the scenario in which teachers and students were provided laptops preloaded with e-versions of the textbooks they would normally use during the year and wireless access to the internet, I can think of a few reasons why this had little to no impact on the way the classes were taught.

Even though it was a grand gesture to supply laptops and internet access to the students and teachers, not providing them the instruction or training on how to use the machines as an instructional media device.  Students who have never had a laptop before could possibly view it as a luxury instead of a tool for the education.  I think that both groups would see the laptops and Internet access as being more for personal use (writing papers, grading, etc) instead of integrating the technology back into the classroom.

I think another reason this scenario would have failed would be because of the limits they are faced with.  Laptops are great, but simply installing e-versions of textbooks onto them, in my opinion, does not scream breakthrough in the use of instructional media.  When I read this scenario, I immediately thought “Okay, great… but how is that any different from having the book?”  To me, it just makes you not have to carry one more thing.  But without the proper software to present the material and make it actually jump out the class; it’s essentially not going to get you anywhere.

One other reason I believe this scenario did not work was because the teaching methods of the teachers, nor the material and how it could be presented in different fashions, was not taken into consideration.  By providing everyone with the same technology, it was just rehashing the fact that computers were not effective tools (per the 1980s, etc).  By not considering the audience, it is just a random use of technology.

If the teachers were provided an introduction to all of the programs and ways to use their new laptop, I believe this would have been a huge benefit.  There is only so much one can learn by just poking around in the dark; given the proper instruction on how to integrate this piece of technology into their classes I think the teachers would have been more successful throughout the year.  And by leading as an example, they would be able to train/teach their students how to use their laptops a little more productively. 

In a perfect world, I would have much rather seen the students and teachers be equipped with a more updated and versatile piece of technology – the iPad.  I am a huge supporter of this piece of technology and the ways in which it can be used in various classrooms with great results.  It allows the students to be more hands-on and focused on certain tasks and lessons by using applications that are geared specifically towards that lesson.  Teachers are able to use the screen share function to demonstrate different examples and other forms of media; and they are able to easily carry the iPad around the classroom with them in case a student has any questions that they would need to refer back to their desk/computer for.

No comments:

Post a Comment