Thursday, January 26, 2012

#TheFuture

    As I was building my wiki I began thinking of different ways I could use this in my current role as a Quality Lead; I personally think that having a Team Wiki would be very useful since we are a satellite team and do not have the privilege of seeing each other daily.  The second part of our team is located in Knoxville, TN and we are only able to converse through phone or email/instant messenger.  If we were to use a wiki to collaborate and document our living charter it could help us keep things more organized and streamlined.
    I think the best feature of a wiki is the ability to have multiple editors on a single site, this way you do not have to wait for someone else to update your idea - you have the ability to do so immediately.  If there is an issue with the wording or information, another person is able to tweak it and make changes without having to wait for the person who initially posted it.  It’s a living site that is able to constantly change - I absolutely love this idea!
    This could work for multiple teams or classrooms, where students would be allowed to update a story in an English class.  A group story could be completed by multiple students on their wiki, providing links to images or video that helps describe their growing piece of literature.  Since they are able to access the wiki at home, they would be able to contribute if they were sick or if they were on vacation.
    A wiki could also be helpful for teachers who needed to collaborate on the upcoming school year; new updates or suggestions could be posted to the wiki while on summer break by various members of the staff.  They could provide multiple sources for their suggestions by simply posting or hyperlinking other sites or examples.
    Personally I have never updated or edited a wiki until this class, but I believe that it is an extremely useful tool that many people could use in their lives or work.  A family wiki could be created, chronicling the history and various ancestors by members of the same family across cities, states, and countries.  One person might find out more information about a particular ancestor and be able to make the necessary edits quickly and easily, which would alert the other members of the changes so they could continue to learn about their family.
    Wikis have a million different uses, you can easily find one for whichever topic you are interested in.  My husband and I like to browse the Muppet Wiki from time to time, just to find out more about our childhood favorites.  I’ve never made any edits or contribution, but who knows!  Maybe this assignment was just the boost I needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment